Travelogues

Friday 8 January 2016

Day 1 and 2

After visiting Chitkul last year, I knew Spiti would be next. So I decided to visit Spiti in Sep, 2013. Convincing parents has always been a humongous task. After numerous requests, they finally agreed :D. Informed the management about my trip and got the leaves approved two months in advance. Now, the long wait started as I had to wait for another 50+ days before I could start my trip. I was so excited and it was very hard to be patient, each day seemed like a month. Yes, it really was that long.

Day1(Sep 13th)

Finally the D-Day(13th sep) came. Bid adieu to mom and dad, took their blessings and left home @ 5:00 am. Visited Gurudwara Majnu Ka Tilla which is on NH1. Prayed to the Almighty for a safe journey and then left for today's destination, Solan.

After meeting with massi, uncle and brother. It was time for a wrestle match with my best friend, BUDDY. There was a time when I used to pin him down to the ground and used to slap on his bum. Well that was an year ago, when he was 6 months old and I was 27. So, this time, he took his revenge by out wrestling me, by jumping on me with full force and literally threw me to the ground, TWICE.


Gurudwara Majnu ka Tilla...


Himalayan E-way


Buddy :D



Day2(Sep 14th)

Bid adieu to massi and left Solan @ 10am. Decided to cover till Rampur today. Found this small puncture shop alongside a dhaba near Theog. Filled air in both tyres and had a cup of tea there.

Had a chit chat with the truck driver and the dhaba owner about the road status of Kinnaur, especially the stretch from Rekong Peo till Nako. Their answer was so discouraging and heart wrenching, I thought I wont be able to experience the beauty of Spiti. They told me about the Pangi Nallah, that vehicles are not allowed to cross it, its blocked as big rocks are falling from above. I almost decided to go back and take the Manali route but I thought what if they are wrong, what if these are just rumors. Its going to take me couple of days to get to that point, I was hopeful that even if its blocked, it will most probably be open when I get there. So, I continued with the same route.

Reached Narkanda by 1pm, decided to visit Hatu Peak. The width of 7km road that goes to Hatu Peak is equal to the length of my bike, thats how narrow it is. First 5 kms are easily doable as the road is good, but last 2 are very dangerous, its steep with barely any road, just sand, gravel and rocks. You cant use 2nd gear on that stretch, you cant apply breaks on that stretch, it just wont work. I had 2 scary incidents on that 2km stretch. First, on a blind curve, when an alto was coming from the top, we both didnt use horn. Since I was the one ascending I had no option but to apply brakes. No matter how much I tried to control the bike with my feet, I was dragged 4-5 meters down, I did not fell and somehow the bike came to a halt.

Second, I was on the last 500 meters before Hatu Peak, about 10 feet behind a toyota corolla, when all of a sudden he applied brakes and I was forced to apply brakes too. I was dragged 6-7 meters down, fell on the road and the bike fell on me. I was no more than a feet away from falling down the hill into the ditch. With all the luggage and me covered in warm clothes, the bike felt way too heavy to be able to be pulled. Thanks to the Corolla guy, he came to my rescue, pulled the bike and helped me get up. He was a trekker and a guide, who came to visit Hatu peak with his family. He told me that he has Classic 500 and even that cant be driven on 2nd gear on that stretch.

Finally reached Hatu peak. Visited Hatu temple, Thanked God for protecting me. Spent about an hour and left for Rampur. Reached Rampur around 6 pm and found a room in hotel Rajendra.


Dhaba near Theog






The road that takes you to Hatu Peak



Approaching Hatu Peak





Hatu Temple



River Satluj near Ramur


@ Rampur

No comments:

Post a Comment